Sunday, September 4, 2011

Not To Be a Debbie Downer...

I know, we fashionista's love our clothes, we love shopping and shiny things and bargains! Have you ever wondered where those clothes and bargains come from though? Me, being me, I'm always checking with my conscience...I frequently object to things other people are okay with. I once boycotted China for years...honestly, do you know how hard it is to boycott China? Seriously, like everything is made there nowadays! I have refused to buy anything Nike for as long as I can remember because they have been known to contract with "sweatshops" abroad. I can deal with knockoffs, I mean for me, it's not really an ethical violation to copy something great and make it available for the masses (i.e. Forever 21), but I'm not OK with human rights violations!
I can gladly say this dress is free from any human rights violations, as it is thrifted and vintage, I can't say the same for the other contents of my closet. I am sad to report that I have quite a few pieces from The Gap (and Banana Republic and Old Navy). I don't plan to toss them, but I won't be gifting them with my business in the future. The Gap and it's other stores, have been charged with having contracts with sweatshops, some of which force children as young as 8 to work and have forced women to have abortions so they can continue to work. While the Gap isn't directly doing this, they are employing those who are, so with good conscience, I can't shop there. But in this day of Fast-Fashion, where can I shop? Apparently very few places...similar charges have been made against Zara, H&M, Forever 21 and Target! Doing some research, it's been hard to tell if the charges are accurate, or if the companies have cleaned up their acts, but it is certainly worth some more investigation!

Dress:Thrifted/Necklace:Kohl's/Bracelet:Lia Sophia/Shoes:Journeys
So, sadly, as much as I love clothes and expressing myself and encouraging everyone to embrace their "fab," I also have to ensure that I am not promoting or purchasing items that have in any way hurt my fellow human beings. I'll be a lot more cautious in the future, especially when I see a bargain, the true price of which is usually human life and dignity. Not to be a Debbie downer, but how about you? Ya wanna boycott China with me?